Ashwell Neighbourhood Plan Regulation 16 Submission
3.1 Our village is a vibrant and diverse community; its sense of pride owes much to its rural aspect and long history. These elements make a considerable contribution to character and setting.
3.2 In consultation with the community, the following vision for the ANP has been agreed:
Our vision is to ensure Ashwell continues to thrive and grow as a community, whilst safeguarding the village's character. We want to ensure that growth is sustainable and the village continues to meet the needs of its people.
We want to enhance the facilities of the village to meet the challenges and changing needs of the community, to ensure that the parish remains sustainable and cohesive. Our village also needs a strong local economy and well-maintained infrastructure that supports its needs and connects the parish to the wider community.
3.3 The ANP has the following objectives to achieve the Vision:
- Objective 1: To encourage sustainable development that reflects the needs of the village and ensures that the community can develop and evolve in an appropriate way.
- Objective 2: To support sustainable local businesses and encourage the development of a strong local economy.
- Objective 3: To provide recreation and sporting facilities that meet the needs of the community and reflect changing requirements.
- Objective 4: To promote healthy communities.
- Objective 5: To safeguard against the loss of valued facilities and services, particularly where this would reduce the community's ability to meet its day-to-day needs.
- Objective 6: To provide high quality education facilities for local children.
- Objective 7: To ensure that the village can support the changing needs of the residents by providing improved accessibility and enhancements to key village facilities.
- Objective 8: To conserve and enhance the historic character of the village and its rural setting.
- Objective 9: To conserve and enhance the natural environment of the parish, its flora and its fauna.
- Objective 10: To reduce greenhouse gas emissions by using renewable and low carbon energy technologies in new housing and infrastructure developments, as the NPPF (2019) recommends in paras 150 and 151.